Monday, July 29, 2013

Mermaid Moon

Childhood memories of endless summer days, tropical beaches, Siren tales, mystical nights, and a recent boat trip are some of the key elements that give life to our latest painting: Mermaid Moon.


My first step is always to create a sketch, and from there work on the background with acrylics. This time the sea turned out to be exactly what I had envisioned in my dreams, thus I could not cover it all with clay. 

As it often happens, once my hands start working the clay, it feels as if the clay takes life and guides my strokes. Mermaid Moon decided to look at the moon and its reflection instead of away from it, once she started to come alive.


The finished piece is full of little details that shimmer under the light. I applied metallic powders and used Premo effects to enhance this mystical piece. 


"Mermaid Moon" will be making her formal debut this coming August 7th at the Pleasanton's First Wednesday Art Block. Hope to see some of you there! :)

xoxo
Adriana

2 comments: