Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Copying is NOT Flattering!

As a professional Graphic Designer and Polymer Clay Artist I am shocked to see how many of my artist friends are being "copied", so it seems only appropriate that I write about plagiarism, which unfortunately seems to be growing exponentially, as we all share our art with the world!


To become a Graphic Designer we go to a University, we there learn about design, but also about good practices and unethical issues such as this, however to become an Artist, and I mean, a true serious artist, you might just have to follow heart, discover your passion and express yourself in all your creations. 

It’s very upsetting, to say the least, to see somebody ripping other people's hard work. Artist creations are very personal; and artists give a part of their heart & soul, when producing them.

Do you want to be an artist? Inspiration is NOT copying other artists ideas or expressions. Find your inner light and be original! Gain respect by showing respect!



From the moment I decided to turn ClayCatShop™ into a business, I registered my trademark. All of my creations and designs are fully protected under copyright and trademark laws. But even if you don't own your trademark, as long as you are the original creator of something, you are the copyright holder. And copyright laws are very clear and apply all over the world.  

From Wikipedia: The copyright holder has the right to be credited for the work, to determine who may adapt the work to other forms, who may perform the work, who may financially benefit from it, and other, related rights.

We need to educate the community and keep an eye for each other :)

Happy-Creative and positive week everybody!

Adri
xox


5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for writing this! It has happened to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that Maria. Its happening so often lately that I needed to say something about it. We need to stand together as a community. All my best wishes for a great 2012!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't given anyone else permission to reproduce and sell my illustrations and I put that statement on my shop. I hope that people will see it and not purchase any rip-offs.

    I adore your pendants especially the baby! :) Also your Custom portrait girl pendants are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing this. And I agree, it's NOT flattering at all, seeing somebody got credits for what you worked hard for.

    I love your "Babuškas"! :)

    ReplyDelete